Things to Consider
It’s important to align your values, interests and abilities with the organization you volunteer for. There are plenty of opportunities out there, so don’t be afraid to look for an opportunity and an organization that matches your needs.
Ask yourself the following:
- If you had all the money in the world, what would you do with your time?
- What are your interests?
- What skills do you have to offer?
- What kind of time commitment can you make—and keep? Once a week, once a month, 6-months?
- Do you support the values and mission of the organization?
- Does the organization have a screening process and why should that matter to me?
People volunteer for lots of reasons—all of them are valid. It is important to you and to the organization that you volunteer for, that you choose an opportunity that matches both your needs and the needs of the organization.