Fund It Forward
Fund It Forward is a local crowdfunding movement comprised of local business people and residents with a commitment to supporting local charitable organizations with projects that impact directly the health and well-being of the County and its residents. Founded in 2016, the Fund It Forward community meets four times every calendar year as part of a classic “pitch” event, during which three randomly selected projects are showcased for consideration. Following a simple ballot, one project is funded forward by the membership.
Next meeting is February 15, 2018 at Robin Hood Association 141 Broadway Blvd.
Deadline for Applications is 4:00pm on Friday, February 2, 2018
Meeting Dates for 2017
Thursday, February 16 at Robin Hood Association.
Thursday, May 18 at Robin Hood Association.
Thursday, October 19 at Robin Hood Association.
Meeting Dates for 2018
Thursday, February 15
Thursday, May 10
Thursday, September 20
Thursday, November 15
Funding Awards 2017
Youth Rock (February)
Parents Empowering Parents Society/Strathcona Shelter Society (May)
Boys and Girls Club of Strathcona County (October)
Funding Awards 2016
Saffron Centre (February)
Linking Generations (May)
Sherwood Park Elks (September)
Dreamcatcher Charity (November)
Proposed Agenda for Meetings
5:30 p.m. Registration and Networking
Membership Application Form
Organization Application Form
6:00 p.m. Pitch session and vote begins
7:00 p.m. Meeting closes
How it works:
- Members commit to a $100 donation quarterly, which translates into a regular commitment of $400 (4 events @ $100/event). Members can join at any time during the calendar year, and we ask only that they commit to taking part in 4 consecutive events.
- Members will hear a five minute presentation from 3 local charities – randomly selected from applications. There will be a five minute Q & A period after each presenter.
- Vote for the charity you would like to support – the charity with the most votes by simple majority will be the recipient of all money collected.
- Cheque is made payable to the Information and Volunteer Centre. At the end of the year, a tax deduction slip is given for your portion of the donation.
Fund It Forward Guiding Principles
- You must register as an official member to attend the meetings (you can register online or at the door). Guests are always welcome to any event, of course, in order to get a better sense of how Fund It Forward works prior to committing to a membership.
- Members must be 18 years or older to attend and you must be a member in good standing and current with your donations or an invited guest. You do not have to be a resident of Strathcona County to become a member, of course, but you do recognize that all funds raised will remain in the County to support local initiatives.
- Each member may send one representative in their place, if they are unable to attend.
- The meeting
- Registration and networking 5:30pm
- Meetings 6:00 – 7:00pm
- If you choose, you can just attend the meeting portion of the evening.
- Meetings are diligently conducted in one hour or less
- The charitable organizations will be announced 2 weeks prior to the meeting. At this time a “blackout” period begins where the Members and anyone affiliated with the organization cannot discuss the Fund It Forward activities. Should the charitable organization fail to oblige then disqualification will follow.
- Charitable organization under consideration must serve the Strathcona County area and must be in existence for a least one year.
- Voting – Each registered member who is current with his / her donations may vote (by ballot) for one of the three organizations during attendance at the quarterly meetings. There is no proxy voting. Ties will be decided by further votes. If a tie persists, the membership will vote to either (1) randomly select one of the tied organizations by draw; or (2) divide the group donation equally between the tied organizations.
- The selected organization will receive a group donation of the total members writing a cheque for $100 (depending on number of members). Members who did not vote for the selected organization agree to make their donation regardless. Members who do not attend will honor the charity chosen at the meeting.
- Future meetings – An organization not selected at one will not be added into the draw until the next fiscal year.
- A successful organization who receives funds is not eligible for 3 years.
- The chosen charity from the prior meeting will give a five minute update on how the money donated at the previous meeting, was used. This occurs while the votes are being counted.
- Meeting Schedule – Meetings are held on the 3rd Thursday of February, May, September and November.
- At the end of the fiscal year the Information and Volunteer Centre will disperse the tax receipt for the members.
- If members are unable to attend the meeting they can deliver their cheque to the IVC Office at 100 Ordze Avenue, Sherwood Park, AB, T8B 1M6 or send with another representative.
Images from November 2016 FIF Meeting
Fund It Forward Sponsors